The Bahia Palace a big old house and a set of houses were collected and converted into palace in the late nineteenth century by the Moroccan architect El Mekki on behalf of the Grand Vizier Ba Ahmed ben Moussa said Hmad (1841-1900) . The best workmen and craftsmen of the country have worked continuously for six years (1894-1900).
The Bahia Palace is located in the medina of Marrakech along the northern edge of the district Mellah or Jewish quarter. Although the exact dates of the construction of the palace are unknown, the building was in use between 1859 and 1873 and was completed by 1900. The palace was built in two stages by two different men, a father and son who has served in grand viziers Alawite Cherifian.
The small Riyadh

It is an interior garden on which open rooms and niches. This is where Ba Hmad received government people in the great Council Chamber painted and perforated ceiling. It was also there that were built later the offices of Marshal Lyautey.

The small courtyard

Four rooms opening onto an open courtyard fully tiled with marble and zellij (tiles) were the private apartments of Ba Hmad; they were transformed in the time of Lyautey Room Officers.

The large marble courtyard called 'Court of Honor'

This is a huge courtyard (50 mx 30 m) open, paved with marble and zellij surrounded by a gallery with carved wooden columns, on which opens an imposing so-called reception room Boardroom, most great palace (20 mx 8 m) and whose ceiling is painted of great beauty.

The great riyad

It is the oldest part of the palace that had built the father of Hmad Ba, Si Moussa, completed in 1866-1867 and refitted thereafter. This riyad is distinguished, in addition to the garden, with two rooms and two niches with refined decoration.

Learn more about The Bahia Palace

The Bahia Palace has been well maintained over the last century by the Moroccan government and is currently used to receive foreign dignitaries. A part of the palace is occupied by the Moroccan Ministry of Cultural Affairs.